Civilian Conservation Camps in Vermont; help document local history
VERMONT- Marty Podskoch is a retired teacher and the author of three CCC books on Adirondack, Connecticut, and Rhode Island Civilian Conservation Corps camps
He is presently gathering information on the CCC camps in Vermont and Massachusetts for future books. Podskoch is keenly interested in meeting individuals who may have CCC stories and photos to contribute to his next book.
The Civilian Conservation Corps began on April 5, 1933 under President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s “New Deal” to relieve the poverty and unemployment of the Depression. CCC camps were set up in towns, state parks, and forests. Workers built trails, roads, campsites, and dams; stocked fish; built and maintained fire tower observer’s cabins and telephone lines; fought fires; and planted millions of trees. The CCC disbanded in 1942 due to the need for men in World War II.
There were approximately 34 CCC camps in or near these towns: Bellows Falls, Bethel, Brunswick/North Stratford NH, Cuttingsville/North Shrewsbury, Danby/Mount Tabor, East Barre, East Wallingford/Weston, Elmore, Jericho, Ludlow, Lyndonville/East Burke, Marshfield/Groton, Mendon, Middlesex, Milton/Sand Bar Bridge, Montpelier/Camp McKee, Montpelier/Wrightsville (Camps Wilson, Weeks, Cushing), Moscow/Stowe, Northfield, North Thetford, Peru, Plymouth, Proctorsville/Cavendish, Poultney, Ricker Mills, Rochester, St. Albans, Sharon, Underhill Center/ Ethan Allen Firing Range, Waterbury/Camp Charles M. Smith, Waterbury Village, West Burke/Sutton, Wilmington, and Windsor. Supply depots were in Barre and Colchester.
Those who have information should contact Podskoch at (860) 267-2442 or email@example.com.