Robert Frost museum reopens
Shaftsbury- The Robert Frost Stone House Museum has re-opened for its second season under Bennington College’s stewardship. During May, the museum will be open Friday through Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm.
Entrance to the grounds and trails is free. For museum admission rates and summertime hours, visit the website.
The Robert Frost Stone House Museum is celebrating its second season with several activities in May:
On May 23 at 5:30 pm, Sydney Lea will give a poetry reading and talk. This event is free and open to the public.
Lea was poet laureate of Vermont from 2011 to 2015 and founded the New England Review. Lea has received fellowships from the Rockefeller, Fulbright and Guggenheim Foundations and has taught at Dartmouth, Yale, Wesleyan, and Middlebury Colleges. His stories, poems, essays and criticism have appeared in The New Yorker, The Atlantic, The New Republic, The New York Times, and anthologies.
American poet Robert Frost (1874-1963) purchased the Stone House, built c. 1769, in 1920. It was there that he wrote one of his most famous poems “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” in June 1922, and where he was living when he won his first Pulitzer. The young apple orchard on the property was propagated from Frost’s own trees planted when he moved to the farm.
The Frost House was officially acquired by the college on December 1, 2017, thanks to a generous gift from the Friends of Robert Frost. The property had been preserved and opened as a house museum fifteen years ago, which was made possible by donations from Peter J. Stanlis, a grant from the Vermont Housing and Conservation Board, and support from many others. During that time, it welcomed more than 50,000 visitors, scholars, and poets from all over the world.
The gift to the college includes the house, seven acres of property, and two barns. It is a five-minute drive from the college’s campus, and Frost’s grave is nearby in the cemetery at the Old First Church in Old Bennington. For more information visit bennington.edu.