Town does about-face on solar plan, drops RFP requests due to contract
by Lauren Harkawik
Feb 28, 2018 | 1821 views | 0 0 comments | 75 75 recommendations | email to a friend | print
DOVER - At the Dover Selectboard’s meeting Tuesday night, chair Josh Cohen said a motion to create a request for proposal for use of the town’s landfill cap had been retracted.

The motion was introduced on February 6 in response to concerns raised about a solar array on the landfill cap proposed by Green Lantern. At Tuesday’s meeting, Cohen said the motion for an RFP was retracted because the board had overlooked the fact that they had already signed an exclusivity option with Green Lantern.

Green Lantern’s director of project development Ralph Meima first proposed a feasibility study for a solar array in August. In October, he asked the board to enter into lease option agreement negotiations with Green Lantern, which the board agreed to do. In December, Meima said the feasibility study had been completed and that Green Lantern had found the site suitable for a 150 kW array and requested that the board go into lease negotiations with Green Lantern, which the board agreed to do.

But in January, the board received and read aloud a letter from Wayne Estey, who is the town’s zoning administrator and health administrator who later clarified he intended to submit the letter as a member of the public.

In his letter, Estey raised concerns about the proposed lease and whether the town could get a better deal. The board halted its lease negotiations and at its following meeting, decided to create an RFP for the landfill cap.

Though no matters pertaining to Green Lantern were on the agenda on Tuesday, Meima attended the meeting and spoke during the public comments period.

“Even though the solar project is not on the agenda, I’m here just in case any questions come up,” said Meima. “And I have a question, which is, is there a chance that it will be discussed during executive session at this meeting, or is it absolutely off the agenda today?”

“Apparently there are still things that our attorney is discussing with your attorney,” said Cohen. “So that’s where this is for now. As far as what happened at the last meeting with the RFP, that has been retracted because all of us failed to realize where we were. We already have an exclusivity option signed. So, we are not about to break that. That was an oversight. I will take blame for that. So now the attorneys will be talking.”

Cohen said that with Town Meeting impending, the matter will likely not be addressed again until the board’s March 20 meeting.

Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.