Twin Valley girls fight until the bitter end
by Rolf Parker
Mar 02, 2017 | 1569 views | 0 0 comments | 70 70 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Tayler Courchesne going for the basket while Phantoms watch.
Tayler Courchesne going for the basket while Phantoms watch.
Green Mountain 49, TV 35

WHITINGHAM- On Thursday, February 23, the Twin Valley girls’ varsity basketball team was defeated by the Green Mountain Chieftains.

According to coach Buddy Hayford, Tayler Courchesne scored her 500th career point early in the first quarter and the Chieftains led the Wildcats by the slimmest of leads, 10-9, going into the second quarter.

However, the second quarter was the undoing of any Wildcat dreams of besting the Chieftains, as their opponents blew the game apart, scoring 23 points and yielding only two to the Wildcats, making the score 33-11. Things slowed down in the third quarter, with both teams scoring six points. In the fourth quarter, the Chieftains put in their second team, and scored six points to the Wildcats’ 14.

Kendell Howe had a double-double with 13 points and 14 rebounds. Tayler Courchesne scored 12 points, grabbed four rebounds, and stole the ball twice. Maria Page scored a career-high seven points, Sammy Morse two, and Jarrett Niles one.

Proctor 48, TV 39

WHITINGHAM – The Twin Valley girls’ varsity basketball team never managed to catch the Proctor Phantoms on Friday, but they repeatedly fought to make it a close game.

In the first quarter the Wildcats quickly fell behind their opponents, who out-ran and out-shot them. By the end of the first quarter, the score was 11-4.

In the middle of the second quarter the Wildcat defense started to come alive, deflecting passes and blocking shots. With a little more than a minute and a half left, the Wildcats were trailing by 10 points when Tayler Courchesne drove in for a basket, drew a foul, and made the free throw, bringing the score to 16-9, which is what it remained till the end of the half.

At the start of the third quarter, Jarrett Niles made a three-pointer, which was quickly followed by Kendell Howe’s two-point basket, bringing the Wildcats within two points of the Phantoms’ score and bringing cheering Twin Valley fans to their feet. “That kept us in the game,” said Hayford. However the Phantoms tried to push the Wildcats out, scoring 13 unanswered points. The score was 29-19 at the end of the quarter.

Neither team scored until a minute and a half into the fourth quarter, when the Phantoms made a three- point basket. Behind by 13 points, the Wildcats again tried to dig themselves out, and due in part to two more three-pointers from Niles, they came within five points of their opponents with more than four minutes left in the game.

Again the crowd was on its feet, and again the Phantoms quickly moved to stop the Wildcats, who never came closer than eight points in the remainder of the game. “We just needed to put the ball in the hoop a little more than we did,” said Hayford. “We actually beat them at rebounds, 36-26. So we won the rebounding war, but not the game, which is unusual. But we didn’t convert a lot of those rebounds into baskets, and that’s a problem. We also had way too many turnovers, which is what always gets us in trouble.”

Howe had her second consecutive double-double, with 11 points and 12 rebounds. Niles sank four three-pointers in the second half. Courchesne scored nine points, nabbed seven rebounds, and made four assists and four steals. Sammy Morse scored two points, grabbed four rebounds, made three assists, and stole the ball once. Maria Page scored two points, made one assist, stole the ball twice, and grabbed one rebound, and Makayla Boyd pulled down one rebound and stole the ball twice. Tatyanna Bowman scored two.

TV 55, Black River 22

WHITINGHAM- In a game that Coach Buddy Hayford called, “a long time coming,” the Twin Valley girls’ varsity basketball team soundly beat the Black River Presidents. “We did quite well. These girls are capable of playing a really good defense, and the scoring was a team effort.”

In the first quarter, the teams appeared about evenly matched, according to Hayford “We led in every quarter but in the first quarter it was way close,” he said. Going into the second quarter with a 9-8 lead, the Wildcats’ leading scorer for the game, Kendell Howe, came alive and scored eight points and Tatyana Bowman scored four, Hayford said. “We had a really good second quarter. We outscored them 18-4.”

In the third quarter the Wildcats outscored the Presidents 13 – 6. Four of those 13 points again came from Bowman. “Her eight points were a career-high for her,” said Hayford. “She had a really good night. She had some ‘put backs’ in that quarter, where she just nabbed the offensive rebound and then made the basket. It was nice to see.”

Going into the fourth quarter the score was 40-18 and to the delight of their coach, the Wildcats continued to play aggressively “They were feisty. And we only turned the ball over 17 times. Ball turnover has been our Achilles’ heel. We also out rebounded them 39-31, and had a season-high of 24 steals. We also had our highest scoring game and gave up the least amount of points. They played the way we have wanted them to play all season.”

Howe scored 20 points, Tayler Courchesne 10, Tatyanna Bowman eight, Sammy Morse six, Leah Putnam four, Makayla Boyd three, and Maria Page and Jarrett Niles each scored two. Howe had nine rebounds and two steals, Bowman snagged seven rebounds and five steals, Morse grabbed six rebounds and five steals, Courchesne had four rebounds and three steals, and Niles pulled down two rebounds and stole the ball four times.

At a ceremony honoring the seniors, farewells were said to Morse, Boyd, and JV player Fransesca Pozzi.

The Twin Valley varsity girls’ basketball team’s next game is an away game against Poultney on Friday.

Tipoff is at 6 pm.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.