Wildcats shut out opponents in first games
by Jack Deming
Sep 12, 2013 | 3773 views | 0 0 comments | 241 241 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Twin Valley’s Morrow Bernard, right,lets loose a shot that found its way past  Otter Valley keeper Shane Quenneville for a goal.
Twin Valley’s Morrow Bernard, right,lets loose a shot that found its way past Otter Valley keeper Shane Quenneville for a goal.
WILMINGTON- After what seemed like an eternity to them, the Twin Valley boys’ soccer team took the field Friday evening, with their sights set on returning to the Division IV state championships. The Wildcats will have to take it one game at a time, and with a shutout victory over the Green Mountain Chieftains, they started off on the right foot.

TV 2, Green Mountain 0

WILMINGTON-The Wildcats stayed in control the entire game, and while they scored three goals, they were given plenty of opportunities all night. Green Mountain on the other hand, rarely got into Twin Valley’s goalie box as Eli Park and Cade Nesbitt turned in a dominant defensive effort, and goalie Sam Molner only had to make four saves through the entire game.

Following three close misses, one by Colin Lozito, and two by Morrow Bernard, Cade Nesbitt served up a beautiful pass to his brother Dal, who beat Kemp to the ball, and gave Twin Valley their first goal of the season, 13 minutes into the match. Park followed up Nesbitt with a left side put-in moments later, cleaning up a loose ball from a Hank Sweeney shot that Kemp deflected.

Kemp would get lucky after Bernard failed to get an angle on a rebound to the right with an empty goal, and made another save on a Lozito penalty kick moments later. On Twin Valley’s next attack, Lozito had a chance to score again on an open net, but was shoved to the ground hard from behind by Green Mountain’s Elliot Leonard as he took his kick. Lozito, a key member and leader of the Wildcats’ offensive attack, would not return, suffering a concussion on the play, while Leonard was given a yellow card.

With halftime nearing, the Wildcats nearly added a third goal when Dal Nesbitt took a penalty kick in the box, hitting Kemp in the hands on the right side. As the ball ricocheted to the left, Nesbitt kicked it in, but a whistle by the officiating crew before the rebound negated it. Nesbitt would have to wait, but finally got his second goal at the 15:49 mark in the second half, chasing down the ball in the middle of the field and floating it over a charging Kemp for the game-sealing 3-0 lead.

“Any time you win an opener you’ve got to be happy,” said Hayford. “We have some holes that needed to be filled and we are trying to find out who will fill them. The boys were tired of practicing, and now they’re (other teams) coming at us fast and furious and they’re going to continue to come at us. I’m happy with my depth, but we still need to stay healthy.

“If we don’t give up any goals, we’ll be fine” said Hayford “It’s a testament to our overall hustle to shut them out.”

Wildcats 6, Otter Valley 0

WILMINGTON-For every one Otter, there seemed to be two Wildcats. At least that’s what it looked like Monday night when the Twin Valley boys beat up on the visiting Otter Valley Union High School Otters 6-0.

Before the game, coach Buddy Hayford told his Wildcats to jump on the Otters early to take advantage of the long travel time that might have left their opponents sluggish. “I didn’t expect them to jump that quick,” said Hayford.

Fifty-three seconds into the match Dal Nesbitt took a corner kick and drilled it right to the awaiting crown of sophomore teammate Nicky Nilsen’s head for the 1-0 lead. Otter captain Nicholas Mischanko was able to get a shot at Twin Valley goalie Sam Molner moments later, one of only two quality shots the Otters would get in the first half.

It was all-out domination for the Wildcats from that point on as Morrow Bernard and Nesbitt would add two goals apiece in the second half. Otter Valley could do nothing to work the ball out of their offensive zone, frustrating goalie Shane Quenneville who could hardly find a place to punt the balls he jumped on. Each time the Otters kicked the ball out of their box, it seemed as though two Wildcats would be there to pounce on it.

Connor Gallipo would get the Otters’ only other quality shot in the first half, as Eli Park used his speed and physicality to chase down or harrass anyone getting within a kick of Molner. The Wildcats’ other defensive leader, Cade Nesbitt, was able to play up front during much of the game, while Jeremy Hunt put on a dominating performance playing as the Wildcats’ first line of defense.

Gallipo would have one more shot at breaking up the shutout late in the second half when he was able to get a deflection past Park and run toward backup goalie Kyle Murdock. Gallipo left it just too far in front of himself and Murdock slid onto it. Moments later, freshman Troy Felisko found himself celebrating the first goal of his career after scoring on a loose ball, and putting the game at 6-0 Wildcats.

Murdock would preserve the shutout with one last save off his left hand on a close-up penalty kick from the left side of the box.

TV 9 Windsor 0

WINDSOR- Coach Buddy Hayford said that defensive player Eli Park was “his usual self” Wednesday night. The term “usual self” in this case indicates another defensive effort resulting in a giant goose egg on the opposing team’s score card, as Twin Valley won their third straight and began their 2013 campaign with three shutouts, while racking up 18 goals. Half of those goals came Wednesday night.

Park not only took care of business on the defensive side, he scored two goals in the first half, the first two minutes into the game, the second 24 minutes later. In the interim, Troy Felisko found his second goal of the year off a Hank Sweeney throw-in, and Skylar Boyd found his first of the year off a through-ball pass from Dal Nesbitt, one of two goals by the freshman on the night, while Nesbitt cranked out five assists. Morrow Bernard continued the scoring onslaught in the 24th minute with Park finding his second goal moments later. At the beginning of the season, Park’s partner in crime on defense, Cade Nesbitt, said his aim was to score his first goal of his four-year career. With 30 seconds left in the first half, Nesbitt took a penalty kick and finally fullfilled his goal, a moment Hayford hopes will open the floodgates to more scoring from the senior.

Twin Valley plays Thursday, September 19, at 6:30 pm, against visiting Fair Haven Union.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet

Comment Policy

In an effort to promote reasoned discussion, transparency, and integrity in online commenting, The Deerfield Valley News requires anyone posting comments to identify themselves using their real name. Anonymous commenting will not be allowed. All comments will be subject to approval before posting, and may take up to 24 hours for approval to be granted.

We encourage civil discourse among readers, and ask that they be willing to stand behind their identities and their comments. No personal harassment or hate speech will be tolerated. Please be succinct and to the point. For longer comments, please consider submitting a letter to the editor instead. It will appear in both the print and online editions.

All comments will be reviewed, and we reserve the right to reject, edit or remove any comment for any reason. For questions or to express concerns feel free to contact our office at (802) 464-3388.