Southeastern Vermont Community Action (SEVCA) disaster case manager Elizabeth McEwen asked the board for their support of reimbursement efforts for the two Whitingham residents. McEwen stated that she worked primarily with individuals who were affected by Tropical Storm Irene. McEwen told the board that she was working with the two Whitingham residents who are receiving FEMA aid, helping them with paperwork and financing. McEwen said the current rate of reimbursement is 90% with the property owner responsible for the remaining 10%. McEwen said that there was grant money available to help owners with the 10% match, and the town should not be concerned about becoming responsible for the local match.
McEwen asked the board to sign off on the assurances and materials for the two residents who qualified for the aid even though only one of the two property owners had signed the assurance letter. McEwen told the board that it was important that paperwork for both properties was signed or the work would be delayed. Town clerk Almira Aekus would be the designated clerk of the works for the projects. The board voted to sign the documents.
McEwen asked if she could help the town with a state permit needed for the replacement of a town bridge. The board directed her to work with town administrator Bonnie Jo Radasch and road commissioner Stanley Janovsky to expedite the permit.
McEwen also informed the board that there would be money available for another year to help residents with damage caused by Tropical Storm Irene and to refer any applicants to her.
Mark Hanna, secretary of the Whitingham -Halifax Lions Club, appeared before the board to update them on the upcoming Hungry Lion Bicycle Tour Ride/Spin Your Wheels for Meals, a fundraiser to be held on September 29. The rides would be 15 and 30 miles long and would begin and end at Town Hill. Hanna said there would be a barbecue for the participants and an award ceremony at Town Hill. There will be a $40 donation for each rider. The money raised from the event will be used to finance the local Lions Club’s charitable endeavors. Board members told Hanna that the selectboard doesn’t schedule events at Town Hill, that it was available on a first come first served basis. Board member Greg Brown, a participant in similar events, said that a banner could be put across Route 112 if the Lions had one made and the board would help with publicizing the event. Hanna gave Radasch his phone number and email information for anyone interested in participating in the event. Hanna thanked the board for their help. Information about the event can be found at www.hungrylionbiketour.com.
Radasch reported that town employee Mike Boyd lost 22 pounds in the Wellness Challenge and won the challenge. A total of 88 pounds were lost by the town employees who participated.
Radasch also presented the board with a proposal from Janovsky for a new truck to replace his 8-year-old vehicle. The board approved the proposal. On the matter of e-waste, Radasch said the program should be ready for implementation at the transfer station in four to five weeks.
The board signed a letter supporting a conservation trust designation for Linda and Leon Corse’s farm, as requested by the Vermont Land Trust.